Thursday, January 29, 2015

Oatmeal breakfast bars

This is a triple batch that makes two 9x13 pans plus an 8x8 pan. We eat them so quickly it's not worth making any smaller batches. But this is about the largest batch my full-sized Bosch mixer can hold. Just cut them into squares and freeze because they are perishable.

Ingredients

6 cups oat flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 T cinnamon
1 T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
4.5 cups milk (almond, dairy, whatever)
1/2 cup + 1 T honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
1.5 cups unsweetened applesauce
3 large eggs
1 T vanilla extract
3 large bananas

Directions

  1. Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Grease cooking pans.
  2. In large mixer bowl, cream 3 bananas. Add 4.5 cups milk, 1.5 cups applesauce, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup + 1 T honey, 1/3 cup peanut butter, and 1 T vanilla and blend well.
  3. In separate bowl, stir together 6 cups oat flour and 3 cups wheat flour, 2 T cinnamon, 1 T baking powder, and 3/4 tsp salt.
  4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir to combine. Pour into two 9x13 pans and one 8x8 pan.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until thickened and golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool, cut into bars and serve or freeze.
Bars can be stored in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.

Original recipe from here.


2 comments:

  1. Have you ever used wheat or other flour to make these? I'm trying these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Ness, just saw your comment. I stick with 2:1 oatmeal flour and whole wheat flour (both of which I grind myself). I figure I eat so much wheat in flour, bread, and other recipes that I need to add some variety to expand my nutrient sources.

    ReplyDelete