Friday, September 5, 2014

Betty Crocker's Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

My aunt gave me the Betty Crocker "New Cookbook" (the edition printed in 1996) and this was one of the first recipes I started making in college. It became so much of a staple I even memorized the page number (#408). Recently while we were moving I didn't have access to my book so I called my sister and asked her to take a picture of the page number and text it to me so I could make them. It worked perfectly!

Ingredients

1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional- I leave them out)
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 T butter
1 (4 oz) can diced green chili peppers
1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 T milk
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
12 (7 in.) flour tortillas
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup
1 (8 oz) carton of sour cream
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 T chopped pecans (optional- I leave them out)
1 can large olives, chopped (I added this ingredient, they're not in the original)

Directions

1. In a skillet cook the 1/4 cup pecans (if using) and the onion in butter over medium heat till onion is tender and pecans are lightly toasted. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1 T of the canned green chili peppers. (When I don't feel like sauteed onions - like when I'm pregnant - I skip this step, and just add the 1 T of chili peppers when combining everything in step 2 and just add onion powder.)

2. (I like to pour a little of the cream sauce from step 3 to coat the bottom before placing in the tortillas.) In a medium mixing bowl combine softened cream cheese, the 1 T milk, cumin, and half the chopped olives; add nut mixture and chicken. Stir till combined. Spoon about 3 T of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla near edge; roll up. Place filled tortillas, seam sides down, in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish.

3. In a medium mixing bowl combine soup, sour cream, the 1 cup milk, remaining chopped olives, and remaining canned chili peppers. Pour the soup mixture evenly over the tortillas in the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 35 minutes or till heated through. Remove foil. Sprinkle enchiladas with Monterey jack cheese and the 2 T pecans. Return to oven and bake about 5 minutes more or till cheese melts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment