Friday, September 5, 2014

Better Copycat Costco Chicken Bake

All of the copycat recipes I found online just called for salad dressing of some sort. I find that when I make white ranch pizza sauce using straight salad dressing it's too strong for my taste. Luckily, a Costco employee posted a comment with a more accurate recipe. Oh my was it spot on! I kind of had to guess ingredient amounts, though, so bear with me. (And can you tell I have no clue how to write and publish a recipe???)




Ingredients for final bake 

Each bake ends up being almost 12 inches long

1 recipe of pizza dough (see here for my favorite recipe)
3 chicken breasts, cubed and cooked
1 cup mozzerella cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese 
1/2 cup diced green onions
1/2 cup bacon crumbles
2 cups medium-thick ranch white sauce (see below)

Roll out pizza dough until 1/4" thick and cut into 4 squares or rectangles. (The pizza dough recipe I use makes an 11" x 17" pizza dough so if you bought crust dough at the store it might be a different size, resulting in a different quantity of chicken bakes you can make.) In a medium mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together (except pizza dough, duh...) and spoon a quarter of the mixture onto each piece of dough. Roll up, leaving ends open somewhat as the rolls will lengthen as they cook. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 425 F until lightly browned and you can hear the sauce inside sizzle. (If the end is still open it will start to bubble out a tiny bit.)

Ingredients for medium-thick ranch white sauce:

(I took the medium white sauce recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook and modified it.)

2 T butter
2-3 T all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1.5 cup milk
3 T ranch dressing powder (1 to 1.5 packets- I just buy it in bulk in bottles that are slightly larger than spice jars)


1. In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir flour, salt, and pepper into melted butter until evenly combined with no lumps, making a roux.

2. Stir in milk all at once. Stir constantly to evenly distribute butter-flour mixture.

3. Stir the sauce over medium heat until the mixture bubbles across the entire surface and thickens.

4. Add 3 T ranch dressing powder and continue to cook and stir sauce 1 minute longer to completely cook flour.



No comments:

Post a Comment